Escaping the cold weather, for a weekend!
Dates visited: 2-13 to 2-16-2017, Ft. Lauderdale, Floridae cold for a warm weather tennis weekend getaway ?
I married a California man. He lived in California most of his life. After we married, we moved to the East Coast. So, the invitation of going away, even for just a weekend, to get out of the cold, play tennis outdoors, and go to an ATP tennis tournament (Delray Beach Open) was irresistible.
My weekend tennis getaway plan involved booking a flight and hotel accommodations (mostly on rewards points), and planning our tennis activity.
- Airlines: Used airline mileage awards for part and paid less than $300 for remainder of airline tickets.
- Left Saturday afternoon (flight Newark, New Jersey to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida)
- Returned Tuesday morning (flew back to New Jersey in time for work in at the morning). First flight out from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- Hotel accommodations:
- Saturday evening arrival (stayed at airport) – Marriott Courtyard, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (Marriott rewards points)
- Sunday (stayed at resort – Valentine’s Day), the Ritz Carlton, Key Biscayne, Florida (Marriott rewards points)
- Took an Uber over to the The Ritz Carlton, Key Biscayne, Florida , in time for the tennis clinic at the Cliff Drysdale Tennis, at the Ritz Carlton, Key Biscayne. After the tennis clinic, we checked in to the resort. Monday morning, we attended the tennis clinic (see the Ritz Carlton, Key Biscayne, Florida), and then spent the day at the resort. We opted for a late check out (benefit of Marriott status), and then Uber over to Miami Airport car rental.
- Monday (stay at airport) Town Place Suite, Weston, Florida (Marriott rewards points)
- Tennis Activity:
- Played tennis at The Ritz Carlton, Key Biscayne, Florida on Sunday and Monday.
- Attended the DelRay Beach Open, in Delray Beach, Florida (one hour north of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida). A men’s professional tennis tournament. A small venue. We were able to watch a men’s doubles match and a men’s singles match during the evening session. The annual tournament is an intimate tennis event, attracting top professional tennis players, from around the world. This tournament is perfect venue to watch men’s tennis because it is small, and not overwhelming. It is possible to go for just one session, without taking up too much time.
- Drove to DelRay Beach Open – tennis tournament (one hour away) for evening session (bought tickets onsite ~$45/each)
- Drove back to our hotel.
Getting away from the cold weather for a weekend, will chase the winter blues away; especially if you can find someplace warm to play and watch tennis!